Peak Cycling Club Members – Syncing Strava Routes with Garmin Devices
We understand that many of our members use both Strava and Garmin devices for their rides. To make your cycling experience more seamless, we’ve outlined the steps to automatically sync the Strava Routes you’ve created or starred with your Garmin device. This feature allows you to have your favorite routes readily available during your rides.
Compatible Devices: Any Garmin device that supports Courses can integrate with Strava Routes.
Enabling Strava Routes on Garmin Devices: Before syncing your Strava Routes with your Garmin device, you need to enable Courses permission. Here’s how to do it:
- From the Garmin Connect Website:
- Log in to your Garmin Connect account.
- Go to your Account Information page.
- Enable the “Courses” permission to enable Strava integration.
- From the Garmin Connect Mobile App:
- Open the Garmin Connect mobile app.
- Navigate to the More tab.
- Tap on Settings > Connected Apps > Strava.
- Enable the “Courses” permission.
Syncing Strava Routes to Garmin Devices: For a Strava route to sync with your Garmin device, it needs to be starred. Here’s how to do it:
- From the Strava Website:
- Open the Dashboard drop-down menu and select My Routes.
- Find the route you want to sync.
- Click on the star icon to highlight it (it should turn orange).
- From the Strava Mobile App:
- Navigate to your saved routes either from the Maps tab or your profile page.
- Tap on the route you wish to star.
- Tap or click on the star icon to highlight it (it should turn orange). If the route is already starred, unstar it, and then star it again.
The next time you sync your Garmin device with the Garmin Connect mobile app or Garmin Express software, any newly starred Strava routes will be synced to your Garmin device. These synced routes will appear in your Courses folder on your Garmin.
Additionally, if you’ve starred any segments along the route, they will also sync to your Garmin device as long as they appear on the corresponding route page on the Strava website. You can follow these segments as Live Segments while following a route.
Syncing Custom Waypoints to Garmin Devices: If your Strava route includes Custom Waypoints, these waypoints will automatically appear as Course Points on your Garmin Connect account. Depending on your Garmin device model, you may receive alerts as you approach these points during your ride. You can also find these Custom Waypoints in the Garmin Up Ahead menu on compatible devices.
For more detailed information and troubleshooting, you can refer to this link: Syncing Strava Routes to your Garmin Device.
- What if I use the Strava Routes ConnectIQ app?
- The Strava Routes ConnectIQ app is no longer supported and will be removed from the Garmin ConnectIQ app store.
- Do I have to update my Firmware?
- No, updating firmware is not required. You only need to enable Strava Routes using the steps mentioned above.
- How do I remove a route?
- To remove a route, you must delete it from your Garmin device. Unstarring the route on Strava will not remove it.
- What if my route did not sync?
- First, check if the route is in your Courses folder on Garmin Connect through the mobile app or website. If you see the route there, sync your Garmin device to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. If the route is not in your Courses folder, unstar it on Strava, then star it again and sync your device to Garmin Connect.
Enjoy the convenience of having your Strava Routes readily available on your Garmin device for a smoother and more enjoyable cycling experience. Ride on safely!